Drinking adequate water is essential for the normal functioning of the body, but not all water is good for your body. Drinking water with harmful impurities can just be as harmful as not drinking adequate water in the long run.
Tap water is presented as “pure” and “safe” to consume, it is generally not a good idea to consume it directly from the tap. That’s because even with government regulation, tap water still contains a significant amount of dangerous contaminants that could be harmful to your health. Some of the contaminants that make tap water unsafe for drinking include (source Pestrol Pest Control ):
- Many community water supplies add fluoride to the water as a way of preventing tooth decay. This is a practice that started in the 30’s and is still happening to this day. While the effectiveness of fluoride in cavity prevention is still being discussed, the negative effects of the element are well known. Fluoride, when consumed by young children in large quantities, could affect neurological development, while it can cause dental fluorosis and skeletal fluorosis in both children and adults. Fluoride also affects the thyroid function and has been found to increase the risk of cancer.
- This chemical is used by water treatment facilities as a cheap way of killing microorganism in water. While it does so effectively, the chemical contamination caused by water chlorination can be harmful to the human body. Chlorine in water has been linked to a number of cancers including rectal, bladder and breast cancers. Additionally, chlorine consumption can cause hardening of arteries, birth defects, nervous system disorders and premature ageing of the skin.
- Lead is a heavy metal that accumulates in soft tissues and the bones. In young children, lead could affect the nervous system and prevent proper brain development. Lead in tap water will usually come from corrosion of old water supply pipes that were installed before the metal was discovered to be harmful. In old houses, the plumbing could also use lead pipes and fittings which will contaminate your tap water.
- Tap water could also contain arsenic, a poisonous element that is a known to cause cancer.Prolonged exposure to the substance through ingestion can cause cancer in the lungs, skin, kidney and bladder. The contaminant can also cause the skin to change with noticeable thickening and pigmentation.
How do you remove toxins from tap water?
Toxins in tap water can be removed through water purification to make it safe for consumption. Some of the methods you can use to purify your tap water include:
- This water purification method eliminates up to 99.9% of all water contaminants. Invest in a counter-top water distiller that is fitted with a carbon filter for your home to purify your tap water before you consume it. The carbon filter ensures that volatile compounds that remain after the distillation process are removed.
- Filtration devices that use reverse osmosis can also be used to purify tap water before it is consumed. They are effective at removing harmful contaminants in the water.
Just because tap water may contain contaminants doesn’t mean it should not be drunk. All you need to do is to ensure that the water is properly purified before you consume it and you will be fine.